Its critical location on the ancient trade route leading from Aleppo in the south to Gaziantep suggests that Kilis has been continuously settled starting from the antic times. Excavations in Oylum tumulus in Kilis show that the people of the area cultured wheat, oats, rye, pistachio and olive as early as 4000 - 3500 BC. Further information on the history of Kilis is expected from excavations to be carried out in Yavuzlu, Sinnap, Belende, Polatbey and Keramelik.
Properties from the Byzantine and Ottoman periods have reached our times. Important properties among these include the castles of Ipsir Pasa and Fellah; the old bath and Hasanbay Bath, Tekke lodge, Grand Mosque and Ravanda Fortress.
The surface area of the province is 520 km2. The population is 114,724. Elbeyli, Musabeyli and Polateli are the peripheral districts of the province.
The province of Kilis has a 120 km-long border with Syria and its province center is only 10 km to the north of the border. Afrin and Sabun streams are its major water resources.
Canpolat (Tekke) Mosque
CANPOLAT (TEKKE) MOSQUE
It is one of the Ottoman structures standing in the province. It was built in 1545 by Canpolat, local ruler in Kilis. It is distinguished with its minaret and china works.
Located in Sihlar neighborhood, the inscription of the mosque reads that it was built in 1334, during the rule of the Mameluk, by Haci Halil. The mosque was restored in 1708 and 1905.
It was built in 1525 by Abdülhamit Mürteza. It is known as "White Lodge" by local people referring to its white ashlar construction. The building has domes over its central part. Restored in 1876, it is presently used as a praying place.
It is in Tekke neighborhood of the city and was built in 1567 by Canpolat. It is the largest of all baths in Kilis, constructed with yellow and black ashlar and white-pink marble. It is one of the most interesting historical properties in Kilis with its plan and embellishments.
The fortress rises near the Afrin Brook. Both eastern and western sources refer to the existence of the fortress in the 11th century and during the Crusades. The fortress is a bridge reaching our times with its vaulted structure in the west, chapel to the south, small tower in the middle, water storages and bastions.
The present Kuzeyne village 7 km to the northeast of Kilis is established on the remains of the antic city of Kuzeyne. Remains suggest that the site was inhabited during the Hittites, Romans, Byzantine and Islamic periods.
CITY OF KORUS-KIRIS
It was one of the important centers of the Roman period, located 20 km to the west of Kilis. Remains of an antic theatre and a church still exist.
Traditional handicrafts in Kilis include jewellery, copper works and bed cover as well as upholstery, saddlebag making, mattress production and weaving.